Venom: Let There Be Carnage is a 2021 American superhero film featuring the Marvel Comics character Venom, which is the second film in Sony’s Spider-Man Universe and the sequel to Venom (2018). The movie released in India (skipping Maharashtra) on the 14th of October. With theaters reopening on 22nd October in Maharashtra and the release of Venom: Let There Be Carnage, it was the perfect opportunity to reignite the Venom fandom and conversations around the movie on social media.
Venom, the alien symbiote, has an eternal hunger for the chemical compound phenylethylamine. This compound can be found in 2 objects – human brains & chocolate. While Venom enjoys eating bad guy’s brains for this reason, he also has a strong affinity towards chocolate to satisfy his cravings
Challenge & Objectives:
(i) Reignite the Venom craze & expand the fandom
(ii) Increase conversations about the movie on social media
(iii) Boost ticket sales
With theatres reopening and the release of Venom: Let There Be Carnage coinciding, we decided to leverage both by setting the symbiote truly loose over social media. The digital hemisphere quickly saw a chaotic mess as chocolates went missing from various places owing to Venom’s craving for phenethylamine.
Strategy & Execution:
The #ChocolatesMissing activity kicked off on the movie premiere day in Maharashtra where Twitter saw a fully-stacked snack dispenser at the Sony Pictures India HQ with only #ChocolatesMissing. This was followed by brands like Cadbury Bournville, Lotte Choco Pie, Mad Over Donuts, Coffy Bite, Nature’s Basket, Swiggy Instamart, Happydent, Rage Coffee and many more facing the same problem. An hour or so later, Sony Pictures revealed that the culprit was Venom who was apparently on the loose. While the chatter continued, the audience was directed towards finding Venom at their nearest theatres. Memers were quick to rise to the occasion, joining in the conversation which in turn helped us reach our TG and boost the activity on Instagram.
Impact OR Results:
– Our activity garnered 40K+ impressions on Twitter.
– The hashtag #ChocolatesMissing was trending on no. 3 in India during the activity.
– Overall 30+ brands participated in the conversation on Twitter and 90 meme pages interacted with our campaign on Twitter and Instagram which helped us reach more people and create more awareness about the movie being released in Maharashtra. This also led to 2K+ social mentions through brands and creators
– Micro-influencers interacted with us on both the platforms i.e Instagram and Twitter where they achieved an overall reach of 239,655 with an average engagement rate of 7.70%.
– The activity got featured on Social Samosa & Mad Over Marketing social media handles that
Client Servicing :
|Veena Lobo||– Brand Experience|
|Amandeep Singh||– Brand Experience|
|Karishma Sawlani||– Brand Experience|
|Prajakta Mhashelkar||– Brand Experience|
Strategy Team :
|Ankita Kulkarni||– Account Planning|
|Pari Bhatkar||– Account Planning|